- Today more than ever, the ability to work together is becoming more and more important in both National and International framework. In this financial crisis momentum, Governmental actors need to do more with less resource. In that context Hellenic Public Sector need to share a common set of standards, in order to be able to execute professionally assigned tasks and optimize national resources. This set of standards should be implemented by the National Industry aiming at supporting defense and security requirements at the maximum degree of quality.
- Why Interoperability?
Interoperability is defined as the ability to act together coherently, effectively and efficiently to achieve common strategic objectives. Interoperability is a capability multiplier and ensures effective and efficient uses of resources. For every capability, the interoperability requirements should include the following factors: Doctrine, Procedures, Terminology, Plans, Organization, Training/Exercises, Materiel, Personnel and Infrastructure/Resources.
- Why Standardization?
Standardization is defined as the development and implementation of concepts, procedures and designs to achieve and maintain the compatibility, interchangeability or commonality necessary to attain the required level of interoperability. Standardization is the “vehicle” to optimize the use of resources, in the fields of operations, materiel and administration.
Therefore Hellenic Armed Forces established the Strategic Objective “Interoperability Enhancement”, which is based on the following action plan:
- “In House” Interoperability Action Plan
- Interoperability “By Design”
- Determination of Interoperability/Standardization Requirements as an integral part of Defense Planning and National Capability Targets.
- Review of MoD Standardization Management Procedures
- Incorporation of EU Directive 81/2009 (N.3978/2011) and NATO AAP-03(J) to National Standardization Management Procedures.
- Review of National Mil-Specs / Joint Mil-Specs Orientation.
- Review of MoD Quality Structures and Services – “Cost-Effective” Approach
- Global Access to Standards plan
- Interoperability “By Design”
- Holistic Approach to Interoperability
- MoD Cooperation with National SDOs and National Quality Organizations
- Synergy Plan with Police, Fire Brigade and Coastguard – “Pooling and Sharing” philosophy through increased standardization
- Strengthening Liaison with National Industry in the Field of Standardization as follows:
- Defence Standards Information Exchange
- Draft Mil-Specs / Defence Standards Consultation
- Quality Services Requirements
- Standardization Training
- Seeking Cooperation Opportunities in the Standardization Domain with EU-NATO Member States (Activated)
In that context Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS) announced the Year 2013 as “Standardization Year for the Hellenic Armed Forces” and adopted a “Strategic Communication Plan” in order to promote the aforementioned Strategic Objective “Interoperability Enhancement”.
- The aim of this portal is to communicate “How we can Optimize Resources via Standardization” and to promote Standardization Activities in both National and International Level.
Thanks for visiting us.
e-mail: k.anagnostopoulos [at] hndgs.mil.gr