It is announced that today, the 27th of August 2007, ground forces, air means and machinery have been allocated to the appropriate services of the General Secretariat for Civil Protection, to face the on going fires all over the country.
The Armed Forces responding to their role of contribution to fire fighting, fulfilled 100 % of all requests submitted by the authorities involved, allocating the following personnel and means:
• Zacharo (Pref.of Ilia) : 272 persons
• Agriani (Pref.of Lakonia) : 110 persons
• Kalentzi (Pref.of Corinth) : 464 persons
• Soulinari (Pref. of Corinth) : 11 persons
• Chalki (Pref.of Corinth) : 11 persons
• Styra (Pref.of Evia) : 169 persons
• Aliartos (Pref.Viotia) : 32 persons
• Konistra (Pref.of Evia) : 51 persons
• Leontario : 68 persons
• Gianitsou (Pref.of Fthiotis) : 88 persons
• Tripolis : 106 persons
• Pyrgos area : 207 persons
• Prefecture of Messinia : 80 persons
• Ancinet Olympia : 60 persons
• Fities : 10 persons
• Diavolitsi : 50 persons
• Sofiko (Pref.of Corinth) : 11 persons
• Pyrgos FF Authority : 62 persons
• Attica area : 150 persons
• 254 motorized patrols for forest prpotection, with 567 persons
A total of 2.579 persons has been allocated.
• The 596th Airmobile Infantry Battalion (350 men ), based at Kilkis, is expected to arrive this evening at Peloponissos area, to reinforce operating personnel.
• Tank Carrier “IKARIA” sailed to board, at the port of Keramoti, an Engineers Company and appropriate machinery (bulldozers etc.) to transfer at the affected areas.
• 21 firefighting aircraft CL-215 (12) and CL-415 (7), which conducted 36 sorties with 104 flight hours, and with 720 water-bomb drops, equal to 4.680 tons of water (90% availability of all air means)
• 2 C-130 aircrafts were sent from Cyprus to carry Fire fighting personnel and means (4 vehicles and 30 firemen)
• One (1) Turkish CL-215, four (4) Swiss Super Pumas, two (2) Austrian AB-212, one (1) Slovenian AB-412, one (1) Romanian M-8, and three (3) Austrian PC-6 also came to reinforce the operating fire fighting aircrafts.
• 4 CHINOOK helicopters,
• 2 UH-1H
• 4 Super Pumas
• 2 Sikorskys
• 1 tank carrier for transfer of LEO fire fighting tank
• 4 Ambulances
• 3 surgeons, 3 medical orderlies and 17 veterinarians were allocated to the General Hospital at Pirgos.
• also, buses, fire fighting vehicles, water carriers, Stayer Military trucks, bulldozers, and earth moving equipment, and power generator units, as requested by the General Secretariat for Civil Protection
It should be noted that, following directive by the Minister of National Defense Mr. Evangelos Meimarakis, all ground and air forces and equipment of the Armed Forces remain in full readiness, in order to intervene and contribute to the fire fighting, when called upon .
LTC Charalambos Laloussis