It is announced that the Oath-taking ceremony and the award of Service sword to the Corps Officers Military Academy graduates will take place on the premises of the Academy, on Friday, 02 February 2007, at 10.00. The Service swords will be awarded by the Minister of National Defence, Mr. Evangelos Meimarakis, in the presence of the Chief of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff, Admiral Panagiotis Chinifotis.
The graduates of the current academic year are: thirty one Medical Corps officers, allocated to the three Services of the Armed Forces as follows: eighteen officers to the Army (nine medical doctors, four dentists, one veterinarian and four pharmacists), two officers to the Navy (one medical doctor and one pharmacist) and eleven officers to the Air Force (seven medical doctors, one dentist, two veterinarians and one pharmacist). Additionally, one Finance Corps officer from the Albanian Army graduates the Academy.
The Academy was established in Athens, in 1926, under the name «Military Medical School» and operated until 1940. In 1947, the School was relocated in Thessaloniki, initially at the German School edifice and later on at its present location.
In 1953, the Medical, Veterinarian, Dental and Medicine Faculty Sections were gradually introduced. In 1970, the Military Medical School was renamed at Corps Officers Military Academy with the addition of Finance, Recruiting and Magistracy Faculty Sections. The latter ceased to operate in 1986.
Since 1989, women were allowed to enter the Academy. In 2005, the Psychological Faculty Section was also introduced. All students attend the respective faculty in the Aristotelion University, in Thessaloniki.
The mission of the Academy is to provide scientific and military education and skills so as to prepare skilled officers to staff the three Services of the Armed Forces and the Hellenic Police Force.
The Academy is an independent Joint Formation, at Brigade level, subordinate to the Hellenic National Defence General Staff.