The Hellenic National Defense General Staff announces that the Chief of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff, Admiral Panagiotis Chinofotis ΗΝ, attended the Oath taking Ceremony and awarded the Service sword to Medical, Finance and Recruiting Corps Officers, graduates of the Corps Officers Military Academy, on 21 December, 2005, at 10.30.
The graduates of the current academic year are: sixty-five (65) Medical Coprs officers, allocated to the three (3) Services of the Armed Forces as follows: thirty six (36) officers to the Army, ten (10) officers to the Navy and nineteen (19) officers to the Air Forces; Forty- two (42) Finance corps officers, allocated to the three (3) services of the Armed Forces as follows: ten (10) officers to the Army, eighteen (18) officers to the Navy and fourteen (14) officers to the Air Forces. Additionally, five (5) Recruiting Corps officers graduated the Academy.
The number of women graduated the Academy amounts to forty (40), among which two (2) from the Albanian Army; one (1) Finance corps officer and one (1) Recruiting corps officer.
The Academy was established in Athens, in 1926, under the name «Military Medical School» and operated until 1940. In 1947, the School was relocated in Thessaloniki, initially at the German School edifice and later on at its present location.
In 1953, the Medical, Veterinarian, Dental and Medicine Faculty Sections were gradually introduced. In 1970, the Military Medical School was re- named at Corps Officers Military Academy with the addition of Finance, Recruiting and Magistracy Faculty Sections. The latter ceased to operate in 1986.
Since 1989, women were allowed to enter the Academy. In 2005, the Psychological Faculty Section was also introduced.
All students attend the respective faculty in the Aristotelion University, in Thessaloniki.
The mission of the Academy is to provide scientific and military education and skills so as to prepare skilled officers to staff the three Services of the Armed Forces and the Hellenic Police Force.
The Academy is an independent Joint Formation, at Brigade level, subordinate to the Hellenic National Defence General Staff.