It is announced that, the oath taking ceremony of the 163 first year students of the Medical, Financial, Recruiting and Psychological Faculty Sections, will take place on Friday, 3 Nov 2006, at 11.00, on the premises of the Military School of Combat Support Officers. Twelve of these students are foreign nationals.
The Academy was established in Athens, in 1926, under the name «Military Medical School» and operated there until 1940. The graduates of that time were sent to the front line, where they provided medical care to the Greek Soldier, and many of them sacrificed their lives falling in the field of honour for their country.
In 1947, the School was relocated in Thessaloniki, initially at the German School edifice and later on, at its present location.
In 1953, in addition to the existing Medical Faculty Section, the Veterinarian, Dental and Medicine Faculty Sections were gradually introduced.
In 1970, the Military Medical School was re-named as “Military School of Combat Support Officers” and Finance, Recruiting and Magistracy Faculty Sections were added.
The latter ceased to operate in 1986.
Since 1989, women were allowed to attend the Academy. In 2005, the Psychological Faculty Section was also introduced. All students attend the respective Faculties in the Aristotelion University, in Thessaloniki.
Graduates of the Military School of Combat Support Officers are allocated to the three Services of the Armed Forces and some from the Medical Faculty Section are allocated to the Hellenic Police Force.
The mission of the Academy is to provide scientific and military education and prepare skilled Officers to staff the three Services of the Armed Forces and the Hellenic Police Force.
The Academy is an independent, Joint Formation, at Brigade level, subordinated to the Hellenic National Defence General Staff.
B’ Deputy Chief of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff will attend the ceremony.
Mass media representatives are invited to attend.