On Tuesday, November, 6, 2018, HNDGS Chief, Admiral Evangelos Apostolakis HN, received at HNDGS HQs, General Nicolae Ionel Ciucă, Chief of General Staff of the Romanian Armed Forces, who is paying an official visit to Greece from November 5 to 7, 2018.
During bilateral talks the two CHODs discussed the international security environment, focusing on Balkans and East Mediterranean regions. They also discussed issues of mutual interest and the prospects of the current military cooperation, at bilateral, multilateral and Euro-Atlantic frame, in the domains of operational and individual training, special forces and information sharing. HNDGS Chief invited the Romanian Armed Forces to participate in the multinational exercises “INIOHOS”, and “MEDOUSA”.
HNDGS Chief underlined that:
- The current volatile security environment requires the widest possible development of international military partnerships in tackling common security challenges.
- Hellenic Armed Forces implement a wide military cooperation network with Balkans and MENA states.
- Regional defense initiatives such as exercises “BALKAN SHIELD”, “CARPATHIAN EAGLE” and THRACIAN SWORD” further contribute to strengthening the stability in the area. Recent SOF exercise “SALAMIS STORM 2018” between Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania, highlights this perspective in the most evident way.
- Romanian Navy Ships, during their deployment in East Med, have the opportunity to receive tailored training at NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Centre (NMIOTC), in Crete.
- Romanian invitation to Hellenic Armed Forces to participate in National Day Military Parade in Bucharest highlights the excellent bilateral military cooperation.
- The violations of Hellenic territorial sea and airspace by Turkish armed forces are faced with determination and calm by Hellenic armed forces.
During his stay in the HNDGS HQs, General Nicolae Ionel Ciucă, was also briefed on Greece’s defense policy and Hellenic Armed Forces main issues and priorities, and visited National Operations Center.
General Nicolae Ionel Ciucă will also visit HAF 114 Combat Wing in Tanagra and War Museum in Athens.